So the question has come up
Where can I get popped quinoa from?
My honest answer? Probably Amazon. When I first had the need for it retailers such as Costco and Holland and Barrett seemed like natural choices but I didn’t really find anything and what I did see involved delivery which hardly satisfied my ‘need it now’ deserve.
After a little research I realised that it’s in fact very easy to make, so you guessed it, I tested it out and now make my own. I sprinkle mine on more or less everything – yoghurt, ice cream, homemade chocolate slabs, homemade granola and I love the light crunch and nutty flavoured that it brings. Plus quinoa is packed with loads of goodness (I use an organic one so even better).
Here is my guide to popped quinoa – beware, these bad boys will toast quickly if you don’t watch them!
Makes half a cup of popped quinoa
Half a cup of uncooked quinoa
Prep: 5 mins Cook time: 5 mins Ready in: 10 mins
- Heat a shallow non stick pan
- Add a tablespoon of quinoa to the hot pan, ensuring that the seeds are not overcrowded.
- Watch them fly! Like popcorn, these babies will jump so mind how you go!
- Pour popped quinoa into a bowl and repeat the process until all of the seeds are popped. They will be transformed into light, puffy granules.
- Allow the quinoa to cool and then store in an airtight container.
- Sprinkle over your food of choice when ready to use.
Pretty simple right?