The banana is a staple fruit in my house. I mainly use them in smoothies and shakes but on a Sunday morning, if I have any ripe ones, I make a loaf of banana bread.
I love banana bread for breakfast, or as a treat with a cup of tea or coffee. Here is my dairy free, vegan version which uses chia seeds and chocolate chips.
Makes 1 loaf
2 tbsp chia seeds
250g plain flour
1 tbsp baking power
2 tsbp of cinnamon (or spices of choice)
1 cup of chocolate chips
2 tbsp of oil
3 ripe bananas (over ripe are best)
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 45 mins Ready In: 50 mins
- Pre heat the oven and prepare the chia seeds by covering with water. About 3 tbsps should do it.
- Leave the chia seeds for 10 mins (in the meantime you can prepare the rest of the ingredients) until the seeds absorb the water and they take on a jelly like consistency.
- Place all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon and chocolate chips) and mix well.
- Mash the bananas and stir in the oil and chia seeds.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, adding water if necessary.
- Mix well, pour into a bread tin and place into the preheated oven at 150c.
- Bake for 35 mins and then make for a further 10 mins at 200c.
- Remove from the oven and devour!
Chia seeds are a great egg replacement and actually contain more Omega-3 than salmon and have many other health benefits…they are a great staple for the kitchen and I am never without them.