If you are a follower of my blog posts, you will have probably established that I am a fan of chick peas.
I usually enjoy them curried however over the weekend whilst craving a crunchy snack I decided to have them roasted which resulted in a tasty high fiber and protein rich snack.
Roasting chickpeas is so simple and honestly I don’t know why I don’t do it more!
You need to start with dry chick peas so if using canned peas I recommend draining them and then drying in the oven before adding any of the other ingredients.
This batch was made from dry chick peas which I hydrated overnight, boiled and then drained off, again overnight. As they were completely dry before roasting I jumped straight into it.
- 1 cup for chick peas
- Olive oil
- Seasoning of choice (cinnamon and brown sugar for sweet or searly salt and nutritional yeast for savoury)
- Pre heat the oven to 150c.
- Line a baking tray with foil and pour in the dry chick peas.
- Coat with olive oil and bake for around 30 mins. The chick peas should be brown in colour and sizzling in the oil.
- Remove from the oven and add your seasoning of choice. I sprinkled a teaspoon of brown sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon on top of my chick peas and mixed.
- Return to the oven for another 20 mins, ensuring that none of the peas burn.
You can tell when they are ready from the smell alone! Remove and enjoy straight from the oven (be careful they will be piping hot) or once cooled.