I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is also a neighbour. On a recent visit, she gifted me with some of the crocked pears from the tree at the bottom of her garden. I literally left with a bagful of the mishapen fruit, on the promise that I would return them in an appealing and edible state.
Whilst totally inappropriate for the supermarket shop floor – all of the fruit were covered in brown spots and needed peeling before it could be eaten – when cut, a fresh and firm flesh was revealed. The delight however was in the eating, the pear was unlike any I have ever sampled, presumably because it was home grown and not subjected to supermarket packaging before arriving on my plate.
You see, despite the tree, neither my friend or her family had actually tried the pears until that visit, mainly because of their appearance. I can’t blame them really, given that the pears are the Quasimodo of their garden! That said, they were seriously scrumptious so I promised that I would demonstrate how they could make the most of the fruit they were lucky enough to have growing in their garden.
Roll on pear crumble…! ( as always the measurements are given in rough amounts)
For the crumble:
- 100g of plain flour
- a cup of rolled oats
- 100g of butter
- 2 tsbp of cinnamon
- 2 tsbp of powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
For the filling:
- 100ml of water
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 6-8 pears
- Chopped ginger (amount to taste)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of the lime
To make the crumble:
- Combine all of the ingredients and rub together, crumbling the mixture between your fingers as you go. This is literally therapy!
To make the filling:
- Combine the water and sugar, bring to a boil
- Add the pears and in ginger, stirring until the pears are cooked – this won’t take long!
- Add the lime zest and juice
- If the mixture is still watery, add cornflour to thicken.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool
To make the dessert:
- Spoon the cool filling into a baking dish
- Cover with the crumble mix
- Bake at 200c for 10-15 mins, or until the crumble is to your liking
- Remove from the oven
This is delicious served with creme fraiche, cream, yoghurt or ice cream. Enjoy!