One of the things that I almost always get when I go shopping is crackers. So imagine my dismay on opening the cupboard and realising that there were none.
I had promised my son a cracker based snack so I had no choice but to be resourceful. A trip to the shops (just from crackers) or rustle some up there and then. No brainer really.
Now you should know by now that I don’t use measurements so those given below are purely estimates!
- 100g plain flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- a tipple of water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350c.
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix into a springy dough.
- Roll out as thinly as possible.
- Cut into shape, piercing each cracker with a fork several times to prevent bubbling.
- Place each cracker onto a baking tray and bake for around 5-10 mins. Watch them closely because they can burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Now here is the thing about this last step, in my house they don’t get a chance to cool so the first batch (which consisted of around 50 individual crackers) were finished in no time.
I surreptitiously tried to make another batch immediately after but these didn’t last either! I’m sure that if baked for long enough and stored in an airtight container once cool they will keep for a few days, but I doubt that I will ever be able to test this out!
I should really make some chutney to go with these as it would make a lovely snack to share at Christmas or anytime. I’m even thinking of making some cheese based biscuits and changing up the flavours – exciting!
How do you like yours?