Recently when listening to the radio there was a slot about banana wastage. Apparently, millions (don’t quote me) of Brits throw bananas away by the dozen when they are overripe and start to form brown spots.
This to me, is so ironic given that every week, I buy far more bananas then I need so that they turn to the sweet mush that so many don’t seem to appreciate! Not only are ripe bananas great for smoothies and banana bread, but when whizzed up with some flour they make great fritters, a sweet snack which can be enjoyed with fruits, ice cream, yoghurts or on their own.
- 2 ripened bananas
- 1 tsbp of cinnamon
- 1 tsbp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsbp of brown sugar (optional)
- 2 cups of plain flour
- a splash of milk (oat milk is my current favourite)
- coconut oil for frying
- Mush the bananas to a plump (using a fork is best) and add the remainder of the ingredients, stirring to the consistency of a thick batter.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and spoon in the batter.
- Fry on both sides until brown.
- Blot the oil.